THE INTERVAL AT THE LONG NOW
【PLACE + TIME】
San Francisco, CA / 2014
Because We Can ✦ Architecture, Interior & Furniture Design, Fabrication
Oliver and Company ✦ General Contractors
【MADE IN OUR SHOP】
Bar Surround, Top & Bottle Shelving, Wunderkammer, Bottle Hanging System, Orrery Surround, Walnut Table Tops, Bar Signage and Display
We let the history of the space drive the design. Once a blacksmith shop in the 1930’s, we focused on renewing the original character of the space. We stripped the drywall and industrial carpeting to reveal the authentic stone slab flooring. Due to the small size of the location, we designed clever space saving ideas, like the chime generator prototype that is now also a dining sized table, and a spiral cabinet built into the staircase, floor to ceiling bookshelves to also help with noise, bottles hung from the ceiling and built in booth seating.
Many odd & fascinating artifacts adorn the space in a museum-like fashion, to emblazon The Longnow's projects and mission. Bookshelves ascend to the ceiling, providing a necessary separation for The Long Now's mezzanine offices and the public areas below. The bookshelves hold a collection of books that The Long Now has been acquiring since its beginning. Our bookshelf design even helped spur another project that The Long Now has since started: a project to select 3,500 books that could help sustain or rebuild civilization, called the Manual for Civilization.
Purchase a bottle of amazing spirits and help fund this non-profit!
- NYTimes, A Techno-Utopian Bar in San Francisco for Those Who Like to Think While They Drink
- The Long Now Foundation, The Interval at Long Now: Design and Building Partners, Because We Can
- Core77, Raising the Bar: Because We Can's Fantastic Social Space for the Long Now Foundation
- Laughing Squid, The Interval, A New Bar, Café, and Museum at the Long Now Foundation in San Francisco
- Wired, A CAFÉ DESIGNED FOR SILICON VALLEY'S ELITE FUTURISTS
- SF Eater, Step Into The Interval, Fort Mason's Stunning New Techno-Bar and Cafe
See More >>